Ashwagandha Root Powder
Ashwagandha is a plant. The root and berry are used to make medicine. In Ayurvedic, Indian, and Unani medicine, ashwagandha is described as "Indian ginseng." The name Ashwagandha is from the Sanskrit language and is a combination of the word ashva, meaning horse, and gandha, meaning smell. The root has a strong aroma that is described as "horse-like".
Ashwagandha is used for arthritis, anxiety, bipolar disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), balance, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), trouble sleeping (insomnia), tumors, tuberculosis, asthma, a skin condition marked by white patchiness (leukoderma), bronchitis, backache, fibromyalgia, menstrual problems, hiccups, Parkinson's disease, under-active thyroid (hypothyroidism), and chronic liver disease. It is also used to reduce side effects of medications used to treat cancer and schizophrenia. Ashwagandha is used to reduce levels of fat and sugar in the blood.
Direction for use
1. Stress. 300 mg twice daily after food for 60 days appears to improve symptoms of stress.
2. Anxiety. Taking Ashwagandha can reduce some symptoms of anxiety or anxious mood.
3. Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Taking a specific Ashwagandha extract for 8 weeks
might improve brain function in people being treated for bipolar disorder.
4. Fatigue in people treated for cancer (chemotherapy): 2,000 mg during chemotherapy treatment
might reduce feelings of tiredness.
6. High cholesterol.
7. Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism).
8. Osteoarthritis. Ashwagandha taken along with a zinc complex, guggul, and turmeric might improve
9. Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). When taken with prescribed medications for 6 weeks shows
better than taking the prescribed medication alone.
10. Parkinson's disease. A combination of herbs including Ashwagandha improves Parkinson's
11. Rheumatoid arthritis. Taken for 3 weeks followed by 4 weeks of sidh makardhwaj (a mixture of gold,
mercury, and sulfur) slightly improves symptoms in some people with RA.
12. Increasing interest in sex. Taking Ashwagandha extract daily for 8 weeks along with receiving
counseling increases interest in sex and sexual satisfaction in adult women with sexual dysfunction
better than counseling alone.