Recommended dosage: 0.1%
Sodium metabisulfite is an inorganic compound composed of sodium, sulfur and oxygen.
The substance is sometimes referred to as disodium metabisulfite. It is used as a disinfectant, antioxidant and preservative agentSodium Metabisulfite is FDA approved and has received its Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) rating. It is also CIR approved for use in cosmetics.
CAS No: 7681-57-4
Solubility: Soluble in water
Odor: Slight smell of sulfur dioxide
Color: White to slightly yellow
Sensitive: Air & Moisture Sensitive
- Sodium Metabisulfite is an inorganic salt used as a disinfectant and preservative agent in cosmetics and personal care products.
- Sodium Metabisulfite is use as an ingredient primarily in hair care products, such as formulas for permanent waves, hair bleaches, hair dyes, colors and tints, and also in some bath and skin care products.
- Sodium metabisulfite is also present in wines and beers, as it is used as both a sterilizer and an antioxidant in the process of brewing beer or fermenting wine.
- Sodium Metabisulfite in concentrated form, has also been used in landscape gardening as a tree stump remover.
- It is also used in traditional darkroom photography.
- sodium metabisulfite is used as a bleaching agent in pulp and textile manufacture, as well as a reducing agent in pharmaceuticals.
- It is used as a bleaching agent in the production and/or processing of paper, wool, cotton, etc.