Recommended dosage: 0.1%
Sodium metabisulfite is an inorganic compound composed of sodium, sulfur and oxygen.
The substance is sometimes referred to as disodium metabisulfite. It is used as a disinfectant, antioxidant and preservative agentSodium Metabisulfite is FDA approved and has received its Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) rating. It is also CIR approved for use in cosmetics.
CAS No: 7681-57-4
Solubility: Soluble in water
Odor: Slight smell of sulfur dioxide
Color: White to slightly yellow
Sensitive: Air & Moisture Sensitive
- Sodium Metabisulfite is an inorganic salt used as a disinfectant and preservative agent in cosmetics and personal care products.
- Sodium metabisulfite is also present in wines and beers, as it is used as both a sterilizer and an antioxidant in the process of brewing beer or fermenting wine.
- Sodium Metabisulfite in concentrated form, has also been used in landscape gardening as a tree stump remover.
- It is also used in traditional darkroom photography.
- sodium metabisulfite is used as a bleaching agent in pulp and textile manufacture, as well as a reducing agent in pharmaceuticals.
- It is used as a bleaching agent in the production and/or processing of paper, wool, cotton, etc.