1. add 1g of the yeast to a mixture of 5g water and about 5ml must at 35 - 40 C, stir
2. leave for 20 minutes
3. add another 20ml must, stir
4. leave for 10 minutes
5. add this 30ml mixture into 50L of must
Wine yeast is an essential ingredient of any wine recipe. It is the critical ingredient that does all the work. Wine yeast consumes the sugars in the wine must and converts them into alcohol and CO2 gas. Without the yeast you would have no wine. This wine yeast is used by many major wineries for making wines from fruits, berries, flowers, vegetables and grapes. This yeast settles firmly and has a good alcohol tolerance.
Advantages to using wine yeast:
- Rapid onset of fermentation,
- Better fermentation control, thus permitting more efficient use of fermenters
- Consistent and reproducible wine quality,
- Reduced possibility of off flavor formation and stuck fermentation
Adding Wine Yeast to Your Juice:
-Typical usage rate for yeast is 1 gm / gallon of juice, but being a little short or a little long is not a problem, as yeast reproduces to reach a number at which fermentation takes place. Being slightly long on usage amount simply gets the fermentation count up that much faster. Yeast may be added directly to the juice, but it is much better to rehydrate first for up to 20 minutes in water at 90º to 105º F.